Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Woodcraft

On 11/25/2014 9:09 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/24/14, 9:18 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:
On 11/24/2014 11:58 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 22:31:21 -0600, -MIKE- wrote:

A brand new square should be square.
I know how to check and adjust squares.
I do it when I drop one... not when I buy one. :-)

There's a tolerance on all squares. Greatest for a rafter square,
middling for a combination square, and minimal for an engineering
square.

And an engineers square is square on both outside and inside.

And a good engineer helps those with the sloppy framing square to square
their square by punching the inside of the angle or the outside.
That makes the large framer calibrate outward and inward.

Martin

When you take them off the shelf at Woodcraft and start doing that, they
ask you to leave the store.

It should be done already. The task is done in the field or elsewhere.
Someone always drops their square on one leg and it changes the angle
slightly.

A lot of people just ignore and hope it is close enough until they buy
another.

Martin