Bruce

Default What should I do w/cracked bowls

While I have not tried this myself, we had a Story Stick carver
demonstrate at our local woodworking club who said he used Popcorn oil
to close up cracks in his sticks caused by drying. Before you just
throw them in the fire, or cut them into smaller pieces, it might be
worth a try. I believe that all he did was coat the crack with the oil
ans it closed.

The Other Bruce

Peter Teubel wrote in message . ..
On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 13:20:00 GMT, "Denis Marier" wrote:

I have accumulated anchor sealed blanks that have cracked during drying.
Also after finishing dried (6-12 months) blanks cracks started to developed.
I still have a several cracked blanks. I did not discard any of these yet.
I came to the conclusion that the only thing to do with these is to burn
them. Before throwing them in the wood stove I tough I ask for comments.

I recently purged my shop of the dozens of cracked blanks because the pile was so big that it was blocking my entry door (forcing
me to use the garage door thus loosing a significant amount of heat each time I left the shop). I spent the entire day bandsawing
them into spindle blanks. I now have 100's of spindle blanks for various uses.

Peter Teubel
Milford, MA
http://www.revolutionary-turners.com