Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anybody have a Digital SLR they have outgrown?

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 10:37:19 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 09:38:10 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 23:35:23 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:
To get the resolution of a 4x5 sheet of film...requires between 45 and
150 Megapixels. Tri-ex to Plus-X.

What for, to print posters and billboards? g

There is a lot to be said for a hanging a 18x20" print on the wall
that you are right proud off...Crystal clear with no fuzz..all the way
up to wall size. Remember some of those do it yourself "finish the
wall in your den in a Giant Sized Photo of the Mountains!!" ?

Yes, and I loved them.

I did a number of those in a 5 yr period. Got paid a hundred or so
for the ones they used. Only time I shot color in the 4x5 format.

Shades of Ansel...

Ektachrome for winter/water/sky shots. and nice warm Kodachrome for
just about everything else...big ass slides. Low grain enabled them
to blow up a 8x10 or 8x 12 foot poster you could paste to your wall in

Cool. So there is -one- niche for the larger formats.

the den. Had to be careful though...shooting a sheet of Kodachrome 25
at F32 or F64 of an fall hillside..the clouds could move and **** up
the shot. So bright sunny days and no wind were a requirement. Along
with a HEAVY tripod and some distance from heavy traffic.

Yeah, I can imagine.

NEW PROJECT:
I'm wiring in the two 3W LED backup lamps I bought which arrived
yesterday. They're drilled through the plastic portion of the center
of the dock bumper
Sucha deal! I'm getting ten more for $9.95 total if they accept my
offer. Otherwise, they sell for the rich price of $10.99, shipped.
I can use these in flashlights more easily than the MR16 format.
5500k, 3w, 12v, screw back with nut.

I'm bidding on a pair of 10w of the same style, like these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390945554415

Cool!! Have you powered them up? What is the field of view..IE..are
they spot lights or flood light patterned? Would they make good
cabin lights for sailboats?

I got them wired this morning, all soldered into the wiring harness
for the 7-pin trailer plug. They say "120 degree", but I doubt they
are that wide. I'll know how bright they are tonight when it's dark.
They appear brighter at 5' than the existing BU lights.

For the boat cabin, though, you want these $2.44 monsters. 48 SMD LED
panels. http://tinyurl.com/kqpjnun (ooh, they're lower-priced now!)

--
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force.
Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."