Ray Sandusky

Default Musing about critiques

Mark

"Blinkered" I think that is me - definitely!

I have been asked by many of my local friends to take a look at their work
an offer any advice. I would rather give advice than opinions - that way I
do not have to follow it and never have to tell some folks what I really
think.

Ray

"Mark Hancock" wrote in message
Arch

I always enjoyed your observations and ramblings - this is meant in a

most
respectfully way. In my view many don't question enough but your postings
are always stimulating to the mind.
On this occasion I must disagree with the general drift of your

'rambling'.
Firstly to my mind a critique should be viewed as what it is, a opinion by
another individual, purely subjective, rather than "by someone who has
successfully played the game",. The beauty of turning to my mind , or any
other creative discipline for that matter, is that there is no right or
wrong. If you believe in the work that you are producing you should surely
take on board the comments made and alter your views accordingly to your

own
beliefs and not those of another if you don't agree.
You refer to the "ultimate forum for critique/criticism; the general

public"
and "Over a period of time they will keep us well informed." In my

country,
the UK, the general public are ignorant of the field of woodturning. To

them
a woodturner is one who produces salad/fruits bowls, stair spindles and
functional items. They are not really aware of the diversity within

turning.
If I followed your train of thought right, there would be no development
from this view.Turners wouldn't experiment, develop new ideas and then try
to stimulate the general public. You are fortunate in the States in that
this view has been altered for a limited few by the likes of David
Ellesworth, Stoney Lamar etc. Here we are about 20 years behind!
You mention "feelings of guilt and failure" which seems a trait among many
makers and crafts people I know and which I find hard to understand. I'm a
member of a group of 70 makers of all disciplines where we have monthly
reviews to maintain standards. Many appear to view a critique as a

criticism
and feel that sense of failure if it isn't favourable. I actually value

any
comments made about my work, whatever they might be, because it makes me
question what I'm doing and why. Because many of us work in isolation you
can become blinkered. Any outside response should be valued.
I hope you take this with the good intent with which it is made.

Mark Hancock
South Wales, UK
http://www.markhancock.co.uk