Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Anybody have a Digital SLR they have outgrown?

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 10:37:19 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 09:38:10 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 23:35:23 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 22:31:30 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 05:52:38 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 19:16:45 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:
Suckage. I need to sell Dad's old Argus 35mm stereo camera.

How much? Ive got several Argus C3s and a few other models in the
collection.

I don't know what it's worth, do you?

Check Ebay. Probably somewhere in the $3-8 range. If its minty..$20

Um, I think I'll wait to find a needy collector.

Gonna wait a very long time. The Argus cameras have little collector
value, even in NOS condition.

I know.

I bought my wife a very nice Sony point and shoot last year, extra
battery packs, nice compact case, extra memory cards, card reader to
plug into her computer etc etc.

She still uses her phone for 90% of her photos..and most of them

sigh

utterly suck in low light. She emails me blurry photos of the dogs and
grand kids daily. Works well enough in broad daylight..but
indoors....the photos suck with loud slurping noises.

Yeah, those and phone videos really do suck. How about the hand
movement of 99.9% of those vids, too? Veritable Parkinsons.

Rugged, decent optics, reasonable pixels..poor flash for anything
other than snap shots of the family/machinery. I use a slave(s) if I
need to light up a bigger area.

I've been eyeing those flash strobe kits. Cheap Chiwanese? And I
could use one with my white translucent umbrella and stand.
http://tinyurl.com/mhewdpb 40w $15 w/ free shipping.

They work well enough until they die..then you buy another one. Crom
knows they are cheap enough and indeed do the job. Like Harbor Freight
tools.

Good, you answered my unasked question.

The AUTO position of most newer cameras just about does away with any
need for a meter.

But I enjoy shooting old cameras that take film. I have several of
these that I use regularly...

Whatever floats yer boat, sir.

To get the resolution of a 4x5 sheet of film...requires between 45 and
150 Megapixels. Tri-ex to Plus-X.

What for, to print posters and billboards? g

There is a lot to be said for a hanging a 18x20" print on the wall
that you are right proud off...Crystal clear with no fuzz..all the way
up to wall size. Remember some of those do it yourself "finish the
wall in your den in a Giant Sized Photo of the Mountains!!" ?
I did a number of those in a 5 yr period. Got paid a hundred or so
for the ones they used. Only time I shot color in the 4x5 format.
Ektachrome for winter/water/sky shots. and nice warm Kodachrome for
just about everything else...big ass slides. Low grain enabled them
to blow up a 8x10 or 8x 12 foot poster you could paste to your wall in
the den. Had to be careful though...shooting a sheet of Kodachrome 25
at F32 or F64 of an fall hillside..the clouds could move and **** up
the shot. So bright sunny days and no wind were a requirement. Along
with a HEAVY tripod and some distance from heavy traffic.

Kodachrome sheet film was discontinued in 1951.

--
Ed Huntress