Ray Sandusky

Default Musing about critiques

Andrew

I am not truying to throw flame bait, just taking the other thread to its
conclusion was to post a shot or so to see how people would conduct a
critique - I have only received the normal "nice work" replies. My comments
about opinions are quite frequently echoed by lots of folks. I think the
idea of conducting critiques is a good idea, if done properly.

The story I related was not supposed to be a sad story - it was on filled
with irony. The man I describes as having long beard, long hair and #1 is
someone that almost all turners know. My story was told to illustrate the
critique vs opinion dynamics that exist.

You did not challenge anyone to post a picture for people to critique, I did
that after reading the entire thread and jumping to the obvious conclusion -
we need a guinnea pig to see if this can work. Additionally, I am quite
geared toward friendly banter and often a bit acidic in my comments in the
hope that it will spark additional comment and discussion. I like to cut
down to the brass tacks, then pull them out!

I want everyone to drop their sheilds and let the truth fly once in a while!
We should all look at the posts on this forum as a means to interact with
like minded folks, learn from each other and occasionally have some fun!
Can't we all get along?

Here's to surfing on a Saturday night with the Grand Ol Opry playing on the
radio!

Ray

"AHilton" wrote in message
That's sad, Ray. Where did I challenge anyone about anything in the

Online
Critique thread? Why must you throw around flame bait? I simply and
sincerely asked questions on a serious subject and you twist it into your
own perceived "challenge". There were no "others" that began the thread.
Only me and those few who have responded so far (which includes you, btw).
Direct your venom only to me please. Those responders don't need it. I
don't either but I'm willing to accept it as a cost of posting in an

large,
open forum and, hopefully, getting answers to some of my questions. Who
knows, it might start a serious debate and evolve as many posts do into
something useful.

Nowhere (especially in the Online Critique thread) have I even come close

suggesting that I am of the ability to "conduct a proper critique",

whatever
that means to you. I do feel that I have the right to my own opinions and
ability to express them (quit rolling your eyes everybody!) as I feel
everyone has that right. My opinions are my own and are derived from my

own
experiences and study. I do not have the level of study and learning as an
art historian, gallery owner, nor of an accomplished woodturner (which

could
be all the same in some people) but I do feel my opinions count as such

they
are. I feel this about anyone's opinions and critiques. There ARE those
that believe that only proper training and education give them the "right"
to critique others' work but I am not one of them. I DO give their

training
and education the credit it deserves but I also don't give it more than my
own instincts (and certainly pride g) demands. To suggest that, with my
original post of questions in the Online Critique, I think of myself as
superior to others in ability to critique is ... again .... sad.

Just because someone posts questions about a topic doesn't necessarily

mean
that they are challenging you or presenting themselves as a superior in

some
aspects to you. It was nice that you posted an item of yours to ABPW for
critique but don't presume to suggest that it was at my request either
implicit or implied.

Apparently you have strong feelings about woodturning critique. I

sincerely
hope that you can direct those feelings in a positive manner and offer
suggestions, pitfalls, strategies, and helpful ideas to the Online

Critiques
thread.

- Andrew

I took the challenge from Ahilton and others who began the thread on
critique, to see if they were willing to put their fingertips and breath

use to conduct a proper critique. So far, most of the posts are in the

vein