Ruth

Default Musing about critiques

Arch, as always that was an excellent post, ummm I mean musing. : )
I must agree with you on everything and with the turners who
responded.

I don't know how many of you have ever had the opportunity to hear
Frank Sudol talk, but he disapproves of critiques and critiquers. A
few years ago at the AAW Symposium in RI, he gave a speech about the
foolishness of asking someone to critique our work which is actually
an expression of our opinion.

Yes, there are turners (and professionals in every other trade) who
have a good eye for design and are happy to share their expertise.
HOWEVER, just because they do not like a design, does not mean it's
not "art" or desirable. It just means they do not like the design,
that's all.

I think it all boils down to most people want approval of their work;
we're all little kids inside loving when someone says "Oh, that's
beautiful........ you stayed inside the lines"! It makes me feel
good. : )

Thanks for a good post.
Ruth
www.torne-lignum.com