Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Backup power

KenK wrote:
While trying to come up with something more to worry about, I thought of my
backup battery. I have a 12 v deep discharge lead acid battery with a
Battery Tender wall wart charger. I check the battery water level monthly
(usually) and keep an eye on the charger indicator light. I see no problems
but wonder if there was an easy way to be sure the battery will be charged
when the power goes out and I need it for a light and, if summer, a fan.
Just trust the charger to detect a problem and warn me by changing the
light color or blinking? An easy test of some sort, other than turning the
light and fan on for a half day or so every few months? I suspect I'll just
have to take my chances.

TIA

Hi,
First if the battery is indoor, do you have good ventilation for it?
I'd buy or build solar panel based smart charger.