Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fergy, no guilty

On 11/26/2014 8:04 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, November 25, 2014 8:44:02 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
CY: US cops now days typically carry 9 MM semi
automatic pistols. That round has been known to
fail to stop, at least a lot of times. IIRC part
of the reason the US Military went from .38
revolvers to .45 pistols, the smaller round
didn't stop enemy soldiers.

IDK what US military used before the .45, but a few decades ago,
they went from the .45 to 9mm. Last I heard maybe a year ago, they
were opening the whole thing up again, looking for something with
more stopping power, among other criteria.

CY: I remember from some where, they used to
carry .38 special, which didn't work on some
of the pacific island folks we were trying to
kill.

This is stuff that I heard this morning on the TV news. Were they
incorrect about the number of shots? I have a problem with Wilson
needing to empty his service revolver into Brown to stop his attack.

CY: Might been automatic.

It was a .40 SigSauer semi-automatic.

CY: Thanks.

CY: I'd have to look for the stories on the
web, but there have been many where the 9 MM
fails to stop some one who is angry or on
drugs. I can believe a big youth taking seven
before he goes down.

Absolutely. Some police have the same concerns that the military
does that you outlined. Apparently Ferguson is among the police that
have gone to .40 caliber.

I also don't know what TV Nestor is watching. I sure see plenty of
shows, movies, etc where the cops keep shooting, the bad guy takes
hit after hit and keeps coming. Somehow the bad guy then winds up
getting blown out a window of a 50 story building with the last shot,
which proves fatal. I guess you need a nearby window or similar for the
shot to work. Mind you that stuff on TV is pure crap, way overdone,
but there is plenty of it there. And as you say there a plenty of real
world cases all the time where police have to fire 6 or more shots to
end an encounter.

cY: I've read of a few. Didn't find any
on the web, sadly. I did a search for
9 MM failure to stop list, and didn't