Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Fergy, no guilty

On Tuesday, November 25, 2014 7:17:13 PM UTC-5, nestork wrote:
One thing I heard today that I have trouble with...

Officer Darren Wilson approached Brown and his friend on the street and
called for back-up.
Wilson drove his police car so as to stop traffic and called Brown
over.
Brown and Wilson then struggled for Wilson's service revolver,

Small point, but it was actually a SigSauer, semiautomatic, .40, IMO
probably the best semi-automatic there is.

and at
least one shot went off with the bullet grazing Michael Brown's finger
and lodging in the car door.
Brown then ran away down the same street he was walking down with his
friend.
Wilson than got out of his police car and chased after Brown on foot.
Brown then stopped and turned around to face Wilson.
Wilson also then stopped.
(what words, if any, were exchange between Wilson and Brown I don't know
and I didn't hear if there was any sort of verbal exchange. Wilson
might have said "Stop, or I'll shoot" or something to that effect, but
it's not part of what I heard this morning on TV)
Wilson then fired a total of SIX SHOTS into Brown.

According to Wilson's testimony, he ordered Brown to stop, lay down,
repeatedly. When Brown came over to the car, slammed the door shut on
Wilson, and started to punch him, Wilson says he reached for his gun
and told Brown to stop or he would shoot him. He says Brown said to him
"You're too big of a pussy to shoot me".

I'm having a problem with that.
Couldn't Wilson have shot Brown in the leg once to stop him?

You've been watching too many old western movies again. First, by the
account of Wilson and some of the eye witnesses, Brown was charging
towards the Wilson at that point, refusing to stop. Second, AFAIK, all
law enforcement is trained to use a gun as only a last resort and then
to use it to quickly totally incapacitate the target. That is, they don't
fire warning shots, they don't try to shoot to wound, they shoot for
the large chest area, when possible, where a round
is most likely to achieve it's objective. It's not a stationary target.
It's someone running, coming at you, that could overpower and kill you in
another second or two. You don't have the luxury of trying to hit a moving
leg, and if that's successful, waiting to see if that works, etc. Also, according to Wilson's account,
he shot him several times, yet Brown continued to come at him. It was only
the last shot, that hit him in the head that ended it.

After the first shot, I have trouble believing that Brown would still be
approaching Wilson aggressively.

Why would that be? There are many police incidents where suspects are hit
multiple times, in non-strategic areas, and they don't stop. For one thing,
with andrenalin pumping, a shot that wounds may not even register much, if
at all, with the perp. For another, Brown was under the influence of drugs.
And if a shot was gonna stop him, then why was the final exchange happening
at all? We know 100% from forensic evidence that Brown was already shot
once in the initial engagment many seconds ago, while the officer was still in the car.

Why would it have been necessary to
fire FIVE MORE shots into Brown.

Because he kept coming. We know forensically that Brown was standing,
facing the officer when the shots were fired. If the first one or two
had made him keel over, he wouldn't still be standing.

Also, don't police service revolvers typically only have 6 bullets?
Where did the extra bullet come from?

That's the main reason most law enforcement today carry semi-automatics,
like the Sig. It was a 40, holds probably 12 rounds with a standard
magazine. So I guess it's not a small point after all.

This is stuff that I heard this morning on the TV news. Were they
incorrect about the number of shots? I have a problem with Wilson
needing to empty his service revolver into Brown to stop his attack.
You don't even see that on TV where a person take 6 bullets to the chest
and keeps on attacking, unless of course they're a zombie, but let's no
go there.

Then how is it that the forensic evidence shows that Brown was hit
while standing and facing the officer? He wasn't shot while lying down.
ABC news, Stephanopolous, did an exclusive interview with Wilson, I'm
sure you can find it online. And perps are shot six times and more in encounters with police frequently. Once some SOB is coming at you and
you're convinced that your life is in danger, you do what you have to do.
And that is to make sure you put him down, ASAP.