Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anybody have a Digital SLR they have outgrown?

On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 22:31:30 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 05:52:38 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 19:16:45 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 12:13:19 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 05:58:57 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 03:58:49 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:
Anyone need Minolta MC lenses..Im missing a Minolta body..found at
least 5 lens for Minolta (film type)...unless the Minoltas turns
up..but I think they grew legs sometime back, along with a couple
others. Sigh

Suckage. I need to sell Dad's old Argus 35mm stereo camera.

How much? Ive got several Argus C3s and a few other models in the
collection.

I don't know what it's worth, do you?

Check Ebay. Probably somewhere in the $3-8 range. If its minty..$20

Um, I think I'll wait to find a needy collector.

Gonna wait a very long time. The Argus cameras have little collector
value, even in NOS condition.

Film camera equipment with rare exceptions has gone down in value over
the past 20 yrs. My Hasselblads were $500 cameras in the 1980s..and
they are still about that in price. Given that $500 was a lot of money
then..and not much now...

The Speed Graphics were worth about the same 15 yrs ago..now they are
selling on Ebay for $150-300. And those are not considered "low end"
consumer cameras

My Zeiss Ikonta was worth $300 15 yrs ago...they are selling on Ebay
for $50 today.

Which is one of the reasons I gave up buying "collectable" cameras for
anything other than because I like some of them.

Though I didnt find any stereo cameras made by/Sold by Argus

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2059210.m570.l1313.TR0.T RC0.H0.Xargus+stero+camera&_nkw=argus+stero+camera &_sacat=0

I dont have anything special..other than a couple Nikon S2s, both of
which are Mint. Cases are falling apart though...shrug.

Im still ****ed as hell about missing the Minoltas....best of my
recollection was I had 3-4 of them..SRT101/SR-2/SR-T and a XD-11
(according to some records I have. That pesky stroke has caused more
than a few memory problems like this) I keep brands together in
camera bags..and the Minolta SLR bag is missing. Still have a couple
no value point and shoots from them...but...sigh. Unless its tucked
away somewhere unyet found...someone walked off with it. I suspect I
know who did it..but they are now doing a 3 yr hitch in prison in
Missouri and are out of reach....at least for a while...........

I dont know if you remember me showing you the big black steel cabinet
next to the gun lockers in my "study" ..but the big glass front
cabinets in the dining room were filled with cameras until the ol lady
found some crystal and china at a couple yard sales..(decent stuff)
and I blew the dust off the camera gear and put em away. Probably a
year before you were here.

No, I don't recall those from either visit, mon.

You walked by it 20 times...shrug.

The _china_ cabinet. Yes, I did. I don't recall the cameras at all.

Thanks..but Im looking for a DSLR. Ive got a half dozen Olympus point
and shoots..I started out with the Camedia 3000s and am up to the
C-5500s now. I pick em up on Ebay for $15-20 and they work admirably
well. I keep giving them to friends and family and then ordering
another 1 or two. The last pair I bought were NOS...still in the boxes
and unopened. Camedia C-5500

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-CAME...-/231393607823

My sister had one of those Camedia 3Ks and it was a finicky bitch (her
words.) She traded it for a smart phone with a cam. Go figure!

I bought my wife a very nice Sony point and shoot last year, extra
battery packs, nice compact case, extra memory cards, card reader to
plug into her computer etc etc.

She still uses her phone for 90% of her photos..and most of them
utterly suck in low light. She emails me blurry photos of the dogs and
grand kids daily. Works well enough in broad daylight..but
indoors....the photos suck with loud slurping noises.

Rugged, decent optics, reasonable pixels..poor flash for anything
other than snap shots of the family/machinery. I use a slave(s) if I
need to light up a bigger area.

I've been eyeing those flash strobe kits. Cheap Chiwanese? And I
could use one with my white translucent umbrella and stand.
http://tinyurl.com/mhewdpb 40w $15 w/ free shipping.

They work well enough until they die..then you buy another one. Crom
knows they are cheap enough and indeed do the job. Like Harbor Freight
tools.

The AUTO position of most newer cameras just about does away with any
need for a meter.

But I enjoy shooting old cameras that take film. I have several of
these that I use regularly...

Whatever floats yer boat, sir.

To get the resolution of a 4x5 sheet of film...requires between 45 and
150 Megapixels. Tri-ex to Plus-X.

Im sure there are some cameras out there that can do it...IE
government stuff probably..but its in the many many thousands of
dollars.

now its not really important if you are printing corner to corner..but
taking something thats in the photo and blowing it up for
detail..thats where it really..really shows up.

Now if you are simply looking at the photos on a computer
screen...hell 640x480 has been adequate for a long time..which is far
"grainier" than Tri-x pushed hard.

Hence my desire for a DSLR with no more than 8-10 MP..I simply dont
need it and the file size goes through the freaking roof at high
resolution. Put 50 such photos on a 700 mb CD ( or less)

Ive got a degree in photography...which is why I do something
completely different to make a living....shrug

Right. g

I used to do a lot of archtechtural and industrial photos and some
weddings. Then SLRs got cheap..and Uncle Bob was doing the
photos..suddenly there wasnt enough money in it to make a living. And
that happened in only a couple years. I got into professional
photography at the tail end..didnt have a long term reputation though
I did excellent work...so had to find another way to make a living.
Lots of one time pro photogs found themselves out of the business the
same way for the same reason.

The Linhoff was the camera I used for architectural photos..the only
type of camera that can be used (properly) to do buildings and
materials closeup.

If you dont know what I mean...

http://www.rogerandfrances.com/subsc...movements.html

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/movements.htm#

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilt%E2...ft_photography

Had a Calumet too, but sold it years ago for 4x what I paid for it.

Anyways..looking for a digital SLR if you run across something decent
but inexpensive

What does "inexpensive" mean to you?

Under $100 or swap/trade etc.

Lots DSLRs on ebay for that price. Just trying to get the biggest bang
for my buck/stuff that I can.

OK.

I really have no Need for a DSLR..just a want for one.

As well you should. They're great!

Im still looking. There are just so many out there..I dont know what
to get. With electronics being as they are..some are good..some are
excellent..some are ****.

Shrug

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke