nestork nestork is offline
Senior Member

I expect his police union will have a lawyer on retainer that does work like this whenever a cop gets sued for something he did as part of his job. The city or municipality won't pay that lawyer, the union will out of the union dues the cops pay every month. Or, at least, that would make some kinda horse sense to me.

Quote:
It's not the judgment he has to fear, it's the law suit. ANYONE can sue
ANYONE for ANYTHING. The action still must be defended and that costs
money.
Yes, but if the judge considers it a trivial or unjustifiable suit meant only to harass, he can order the person doing the sueing to reimburse the person being sued for his legal expenses. Here in Canada, a prominant radio host sued the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation for 55 million dollars cuz he got fired when the company found out he was beating up his girlfriends. Gean Gomeshi, the radio host, has since dropped his law suit, and the court has ordered him to pay the CBC $18,000 $CDN for the company's legal expenses in preparing to defend themselves in court. So, it's not a trivial matter to sue someone just out of spite. That spite can cost you a lot of money.

Last edited by nestork : November 26th 14 at 07:13 AM