Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Gas leaks and gas leaks and gas leaks

In message , Harry
Bloomfield writes
on 24/11/2014, Tim+ supposed :
We have suffered an intermitant sewage smell in the downstairs toilet
for a couple of years. Which I have tried several times to trace,
though it smells quite sweet at the moment. The guys called out to
check out the sewers today, reported that there was a blocked main
three doors upstream of us and I think cleared it. I'm now wondering if
the smell might have been due to varying air pressure in the main,
downstream of the blockage?

I have posted this before...

Sewage pong in downstairs toilet. Worst in wet weather. Eventually
traced to a minor leak where builders had failed to fully seal a fresh
connection to an existing inspection pit.

A downstream blockage (half brick in the pipe from the same builders I
suspect) would leak raw sewage into the pea gravel surrounding the new
pipe. A high water table would carry the pong back along the pipe trench
and under the house.

A proper leak test by building control would have spotted this!

--
Tim Lamb