nestork nestork is offline
Senior Member

The prosecutor in the Michael Brown shooting just delivered the Grand Jury's decision NOT to press charges against the cop (Darren Wilson, I think his name was) in that shooting.

It appears that the crowd that gathered in front of the police station in Ferguson did not become violent. From what I saw on the news reports, they basically just hung around, but didn't start rioting or looting. It looks like it's gonna be a peaceful night in Ferguson tonight.

Apparantly, a Grand Jury consists of 12 citizens, and in this case there were 9 whites and three blacks, but they were picked to represent the broad spectrum of Missouri society, from rich to poor, old to young, blue collar to professional and of course both men and women. All that's needed is a quorem of 9 jurors to reach a verdict, and from what I could see from the news reports, the people protesting in Ferguson accepted the Grand Jury's decision, and didn't become enraged by it. I expect the only thing that could go wrong now is them finding out that all 9 white jurors voted one way while all three blacks voted the other way. That would create a mess. But, apparantly, anything about the vote and what the principle points the jurors argued over is meant to be secret precisely so that the public can't second guess the jury or point to reasons why they voted the way they did. I guess you have to have that in order to have finality to the matter.

Last edited by nestork : November 25th 14 at 03:19 AM