Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default car auxhilliary heater

sm_jamieson was thinking very hard :
This year we have a little one to take to the child minders so hectic
mornings, and I have a diesel car which is slower to heat up than a petrol
car. So I was thinking of some type of auxhilliary heater that can get things
going. Any recommendations? - most of the 12V lighter socket ones seem to
have poor reviews. Simon.

Well look at it this way - the 50/100 watts will make little if any
difference to the interior of a car, so a complete waste of money.

The only worth while addition to a diesel is a Fuel Burning heater to
pre-heat the cooling system. Around 6Kw of output, burning diesel fuel
and your car can be pre-heated before you even get in it. They don't
use much fuel at all, rather like a miniature boiler for your central
heating. Mine came fitted with one and I would not be without it, but
they are quite expensive. HGV's have them fitted, where they are called
'night heaters'.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)