Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas leaks and gas leaks and gas leaks

on 24/11/2014, Tim+ supposed :
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
They have dug the same bit of pavement up repeatedly over the last 12
months, I have reported the smell twice, but the cannot find a leak from
their new pipes. It smells like gas, rather than a sewage leak but they
have had the water people out to check and nothing found. They have had
the smell analysed and its not their gas....

So what could it be?

Its an 18th and 19th C mining area, might it be gas rising from the old
mines? They say mines would be too deep...

If the smell persists I'd seriously consider getting a gas detector for
your underfloor space. It wouldn't be the first time that a house has been
destroyed by a leaky old iron gas main leaking into a house basement.

Much as I would have liked one, we don't have a basement, but we are
100yds from the smell anyway.

We have suffered an intermitant sewage smell in the downstairs toilet
for a couple of years. Which I have tried several times to trace,
though it smells quite sweet at the moment. The guys called out to
check out the sewers today, reported that there was a blocked main
three doors upstream of us and I think cleared it. I'm now wondering if
the smell might have been due to varying air pressure in the main,
downstream of the blockage?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)