Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Advice for repair of wood stool

On 11/23/2014 10:54 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Bruce Kaatz" wrote:

Trying my hand at the repair of an Amish made wooden stool for a
friend.
Two years ago, one of the rungs broke out so I turned a replacement
and
put it back with some good old yellow glue.

Now the rung on the other side of the stool has broken. Turned
another
one and then noticed something I didn't while doing the repair last
time. Every rung and legs has a Kreg screw angled into the joint
from
the bottom. I removed the screws and found all but one were broken.
think they did more damage to the joints than they helped. Stool
came
apart rather easily at this point. I've cleaned up the rungs and
legs
as well as the matching sockets.

So, two questions. Would you use good old yellow glue or would
something
else be better suited? Screws or no screws? Thanks in advance for
the
wisdom.

Using screws would not be my choice.

If you plan on rebuilding again in a few years, then use hyde glue.

If you want to do it once and forget it, then use epoxy thickened
with microballoons.

Lew

I agree with the Epoxy if the rungs are not wood. But if a rung is
broken by some one standing one it is going to be a tough repair.
Joints are not the only reason that something has to be repaired.