Posted to alt.home.repair
DaveT[_2_] DaveT[_2_] is offline

Default Electric space heater repair question

On 11/24/2014 4:39 AM, philo wrote:
On 11/23/2014 10:42 PM, DaveT wrote:

The big problem is the $25 heaters are really $5 Chinese heaters that
someone made $$10 on after paying $10 to ship it over from China. We
bought 4 or 5 of the "oil filled" electric radiators a few montha ago
from Canadian tire and one by one the switches are melting down on
them. Otherwize they don't appear to be too bad quality, but you can't
buy the replacement switch. (I imagine I could import them 20 at a
time from China - but why bother?) They failed under warranty so were
returned for a refund applied to slightly better quality $39 Sunbeam
radiant heaters - We will see haw well they last. (I have one that is
at least 10 years old - also made in China - that still works)

Good luck with the new ones.
This heater lasted 4.5 yrs, so I can't complain - I just get a kick
out of repairing things when I can - it gives me the illusion that I'm
beating the "sell crap that fails so the consumer has to buy a new one"
system.

I bet that I easily repair 80% of the "junk" my neighbors toss out.
Chairs, fans, lamps you name it.

A few times I've seen a neighbor throw something out and I repair it and
mysteriously return it to their yard.

Emperor Vespasian: a day without doing someone a favor, is a day wasted.
(That's at least close.)