Posted to rec.woodworking
Morgans[_3_] Morgans[_3_] is offline

Default Advice for repair of wood stool

"John Paquay" wrote in message

On 11/23/2014 7:47 PM, Bruce Kaatz wrote:

So, two questions. Would you use good old yellow glue or would something
else be better suited? Screws or no screws? Thanks in advance for the
wisdom.

You are right in thinking that the screw probably did more damage than
good. Yellow wood glue will be just fine. Clean off all traces of the
old glue, wet the joint well with new glue, and clamp it up. Don't
reinstall the screw. While the joint is clamped up you can fill the old
screw hole. I've done hundreds of institutional furniture repairs this
way, and if done well, it's a permanent fix.

The screws would have been used by the manufacturer in place of clamps
only in order to speed production, and no longer serves any purpose.

************
I am getting ready to do a stool like yours.

I plan to judge how much extra room inside the joint, and use a saw to make
a cut in the end of the tenion, all most to the exposed portion. Then take
and make a wedge to fit in the cut that when pushed just flush with the end,
will cause the tenion to expand enough to tighten up. When you clamp the
crosspieces in with the splits and wedges, it forces the wedge in and
tightens the joint. Of course, use carpenters glue and clean off the old
first.

-- Jim in NC

---