Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Woodcraft

On 11/23/14, 10:23 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 11/23/2014 11:51 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/23/14, 9:25 AM, Brewster wrote:

I have bought some things from these retailers that were obvious HF
fodder at a time when their price was good. Years later I'd buy the
same thing from HF on a whim and noticed that the HF contraption was
of poorer finish quality. Examples like a carpenters triangle come to
mind. It may be that some things get inspections and those that
qualify as 'perfect' go to the retailers and the cosmetic rejects go
to HF.

-Bruce

And don't be too sure about the quality control either.
When I was looking for a new slide rule I checked Woodcraft because I
was having difficulty finding one that was good quality and actually
*square.*

Probably 1/3 of the Woodcraft squares weren't.
(Yes, I checked and double-checked the engineering squares I used as a
reference.)

By slide rule I think you mean combo square.
I have a Starret, dead on.

Yes, I don't know why I had slide rule on the brain. :-)

But I also have an old Stanley and a little empire. The empire and
Stanley I adjusted by taking a small file and working them to square.
just take a board that has been jointed. mark a line knife is better.
using the same edge flip the square over and mark another line right
next to that line. you eye should be able to pick up if they diverge.
The should be parallel if not figure out where you need to remove
material and take a file and remove less than half of what you think you
need to. And check again.

A brand new square should be square.
I know how to check and adjust squares.
I do it when I drop one... not when I buy one. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--