Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric space heater repair question

On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 20:32:43 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

DaveT wrote in :

On 11/23/2014 11:45 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
DaveT wrote in :

I had a $20 space heater fail after about 4.5 yrs of use. It looks the
nichrome filament burned through near a crimp fastener (below is a pic).

Is there any cheap easy method of repairing this, without it winding up
burning down the house?

A twenty-dollar space heater is a disposable item. Why are you even considering

repairing it?
Is your time worth nothing?

It's stupid to throw things away that can be repaired easily and safely.

It's even more stupid to spend more than about an hour of your time trying to fix something
that you can replace for twenty bucks.

And you've already used up ten or fifteen minutes of that hour, writing your post and reading
the responses.

I'm like Dave though - why add more junk to landfill if I can fix it
for an outlay of less than 5 bucks and half an hour of "tinker time"?
Sure, I've wasted a lot of that "tinker time" and numerous outlays of
$5 on repairs that failed - but also many times the repaired item goes
on to outlast what I would have replaced it with (if I manage to
repair the deficiency by making it what it should have been in the
first place.

First rule of buying Chinese - consider it to be a "semi-assembled"
kit.