Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Steel for Olympic Barbell

On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 08:49:29 -0800 (PST), Sandarpan Mukherjee
wrote:

On Sunday, 23 November 2014 20:18:45 UTC+5:30, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 21:16:20 -0800 (PST), Sandarpan Mukherjee
wrote:

On Sunday, 23 November 2014 00:08:08 UTC+5:30, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 07:36:14 -0800 (PST), Sandarpan Mukherjee
wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/XMark-Commerci.../dp/B00JKM3BZU

The bar in the above link claims to have 240000 psi UTS and made out of a chrome-moly steel? Is it possible for such a high strength steel to be non-brittle enough for the application?

I'm more of a newb when it comes to metallurgy, but I think the
strength of the steel comes from the alloy, while brittleness comes
from the temper. Strong steels can be tempered for less brittleness,
which is what I think is happening in that bar. /opinion

--
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force.
Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."

Yes but tempering takes away hardness(brittleness also)as well as strength. Strength and brittleness have a strong correlation.

Yes, it's a balancing act of magic, metallurgically speaking.

--
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force.
Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
--George Washington

Yes. What I would love to know is though, what is the elongation % and reduction in area of the bars at the given strength. Something no manufacturer is willing to tell.

See Bethlehem Steel's "Modern Steels and Their Properties." This is a
scan minus the attribution:
http://www.akronsteeltreating.com/do...y/ast-book.pdf

--
Ned Simmons