Posted to alt.home.repair
DaveT[_2_] DaveT[_2_] is offline

Default Electric space heater repair question

On 11/23/2014 1:34 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"DaveT" wrote in message ...
I had a $20 space heater fail after about 4.5 yrs of use. It looks the
nichrome filament burned through near a crimp fastener (below is a pic).

Is there any cheap easy method of repairing this, without it winding up
burning down the house?

Thanks

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126231...ed=14666684223

It looks as if it burnt off right at the connector. They make some crimp
lugs that are rated for the high temperatuers. Not sure where you can buy
them. You should be able to streach the wire the inch or so you need .
Years ago I tried that with some standard crimp connectors near the middle
of the wires. They only lasted for a short time as the connectors were not
rated for the high heat.

Here is one place that list them for $ 1.24 each. Not sure if you can get
just one mailed cheep or not.

Thanks, it's probably not worth the trouble.
Lowes and HD have plenty of connectors, but none described as high
temperature.
Amazon has high temperature connectors but price and s/h makes it not
worthwhile.

I thought it might be a common problem w/ a common solution.

http://www.cesco.com/b2c/product/134...8AOxoCxW7w_wcB

---