Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Aprilaire 600 humidity output

On 11/22/2014 6:17 PM, micky wrote:

At least for the sake of testing, you can raisse the humidity further by
putting a big pot of water on the stove and boiling it until it's almost
dry. (You can boil it dry for that matter without hurting most pots that
much.) And/or you can stopper the bathtub, turn on the shower all
hot, and just make sure you don't overflow the tub. (You could leave
the tub unstopped, but that's a waste of hot water, and not as
effective, because the water steams off of the surface as much as the
spray.)

It's certainly worth doing this once, to see if it helps your wife. If
it doesn't, then you can just stick with the humidifier as you have it.

The boiling water is better than the shower, I think. You can just keep
adding more hot water to the boiling water, but you can only let the
bathtub fill up so high, and I won't drain the tub until the water is
room temperature.

Both of these, btw, are good ways of making the house feel warm, by
raising the humidity, when the furnace is broken.

When I was a teen, I used to put hot water in a
spray bottle and spray hot water mist into the
air near the ceiling. It would evaporate on the
way down. Quick and easy. Parents did not have a
humidifier, so I pumped water into the air.

The pot on the stove is an old favorite of people
who burn wood.

I agree, it's good for testing. See if she and you
both feel better.

-
..
Christopher A. Young