Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_17_] Frank[_17_] is offline

Default Aprilaire 600 humidity output

On 11/22/2014 4:14 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 11/22/2014 4:12 PM, Frank wrote:
On 11/21/2014 8:13 PM, Hongyi Kang wrote:
Thanks Stormin for the effort! Really appreciate it!

I learned about the damper from the thread. Didn't know I had one and
don't shut it off. Have to do that next summer.

I don't measure humidity but Aprilaire seems to work OK but things do
dry out in the winter. I put in a new pad every year as old has a lot
of salts precipitated around it although I think it could work for a
couple of years without change.

Leaving the damper open with central AC makes
it much more likely to freeze the evaporator
coil.

I'm wondering if the OP need to replace that pad,
might be the water is on the outside of the pad,
not soaking into the fibers.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Pad appears to be a paper coated aluminum honeycomb. They mention paper
on the box but you can see aluminum showing through. It is not like the
sponge like pad I had on an old Sears unit which every now and then I'd
take off and soak in dilute vinegar to remove salts. When I replace the
pad each year I note a lot of dried salts which I vacuum out but pad is
not full of them. Pads are maybe $5-7 which is not a big expense.

In the summer, we shut off water to the pad and not sure what difference
it will make but will close mine next summer.