Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Scam or? OT

On 22/11/14 21:35, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 22/11/2014 19:38, Phil L wrote:
If it was genuine, they would have sent a paper bill first, then followed
that up with (in my case) emails and paper reminders.
Not once in twenty odd years has a power company phoned me, and one
time I
was over 2 months late paying a bill.

Don't underestimate the f-up possibilities.

I've had a 'phone call purporting to be from my bank, and wanting to
start by asking me some security questions. Naturally I demurred, but
being in a good mood pointed out that they had a pretty good idea who I
was, but I had no idea who they were. There was a long pause... then "I
don't know why no-one else has said that".

It was my bank. I got them to send a message to the local branch (5 mins
walk from my office). Plonkers.

Andy

I asked my CC company under similar circumstances.

They seemed more prepared and told me to ring the number on the back of
my card, then quote a reference they gave me.

Within 2 mins I was talking about the matter they wished to discuss.