Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Aprilaire 600 humidity output

On 11/22/2014 2:28 PM, Hongyi Kang wrote:
Thanks Trader for the response! As far as I can

see, the water is flowing when the heat is on and
is not flowing when heat is off. The house is only
1600 sq ft so I thought the humidifier should be
plenty. The unit is located on the return duct and
the air supply comes from the hot air supply duct.
The unit is running on hot water line and I tried
various water flow on it, there was always water
draining down the draining tube and the humidity
output did not change. I'm getting another one of
these humidistat in a couple of days, I'll test and
see if they give the same readings. I guess my
question right now is whether the humidifier ever
fails to output what it should be outputting, or
it's already working fine but I'm asking too much
from it? I'm really curious if there are other
people with the same kinda humidifier and similar
outdoor temperature, what humidity they are getting
from the hot air registers. The way this thing
works is almost purely physics so I really can't
imagine where could've gone wrong.

I had an idea, which might sounds strange. In order
for the water to evaporate, it has to soak into the
white fibers of the media pad. if there is a lot of
mineral build up, the water might be sliding down the
outside of the pad, instead of soaking into the fibers.

Someone else suggested to soak the pad in vinegar, or
use some CLR to see if there is calcium carbonate build
up. I'd also wonder if a tiny bit of soap would help
water to soak in. Spray a little bit of some thing like
Simple Green detergent on the white fiber pad.

Just thinking, here.

--
..
Christopher A. Young