Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Sandarpan Mukherjee Sandarpan Mukherjee is offline

Default Steel for Olympic Barbell

On Saturday, 22 November 2014 22:12:46 UTC+5:30, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 07:36:14 -0800 (PST), Sandarpan Mukherjee
wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/XMark-Commerci.../dp/B00JKM3BZU

The bar in the above link claims to have 240000 psi UTS and made out of a chrome-moly steel? Is it possible for such a high strength steel to be non-brittle enough for the application?

"Chrome-moly" usually means AISI 4340 steel or equivalent. 240 kpsi is
about the maximum, and elongation falls off sharply above 200 kpsi. At
225, it's down around 5/%.

Is that enough for your bar? I don't know. Maybe the real-world
application is no problem. At 5%, as a general matter in structural
applications, you begin to expect sudden failures. But maybe it's OK
for such a bar.

--
Ed Huntress

Also as far as I can tell from my decaying memories of Strength of Materials 101, thicker materials are more brittle than the same material when thinner? Especially high carbon steels. Is that correct?