Posted to rec.woodworking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Woodcraft

On 11/22/2014 11:08 AM, Brewster wrote:

Woodcraft, Rockler, etc. are (to me anyway) only viable when you get a
'coupon' for free shipping, 20% off, etc. At that point I'll factor them
in when doing a price search.
If a company can put out significant cost saving discounts monthly and
only then get competitive, their standard pricing is too high.

-Bruce

They embody the old retail store value. Remember them from decades ago?

Our local Woodcraft is higher priced than many other store, but they
offer one thing the discounters do not - - - service. For the first time
buyer of a tool, you can get plenty of free advice on how to properly
use it. Advice on how a finish will work. etc. You don't get that at
Amazon or the big box stores.

Many do not need that service and are unwilling to pay for it. That is
why WalMart thrives and most old time department stores closed up 30
years ago.