Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Scam or? OT

On 22/11/14 15:37, Tim Lamb wrote:
An Indian call centre is currently badgering my wife to pay an
outstanding account by card.

The account relates to an empty flat with a sale in progress. The amount
claimed does not correspond either to the estimated bill or the meter
reading given to BG.

My advice to her is to insist on a paper bill based on the actual meter
reading and not to pay by card. We are now getting one or more calls a day.

Do BG have a call centre in India?

Unfortunately she can't remember if she actually gave them her account
number or if they already knew it.

Tell BG to send a written paper statement.

I would not do anything over the phone unless I was reasonably sure.

If she feels she must pay soon to avoid hold ups, phone BG back on a
known good number from the website and ask them.