Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bert Coules Bert Coules is offline

Default Hardcore and the theory of drainage

Thanks to everyone for the replies. As usual with this sort of area, the
range of advice is extensive.

I have a source of old concrete panels which I can break up and use for
hardcore, but I'll have to bring in some smaller aggregate to use as a
filler material and to level off the top of the base layer - without that, I
suspect that any membrane, even the toughest, would be penetrated by the
edges of the concrete shards.

I've also been told that broken-up chunks of expanded polystyrene made a
good substitute for traditional hardcore (and would certainly be easier to
handle) but, as with something harder, I'm still not sure I completely
understand the way the drainage is supposed to work. However, any
moderately sizeable material would at least cut down on the amount of
smaller infill necessary, which I suppose would be a saving.

Newshound, particular thanks for the link to the Paving Expert site: what a
splendid resource.

Bert