Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Hardcore and the theory of drainage

On 22/11/2014 08:36, Bert Coules wrote:
Apologies for the uninspiring subject line, but it does at least sum up
my question.

I'm constructing a large and quite high (thirty inches or so) raised bed
in my garden for planting: block walls enclose an area of bare earth at
ground level. The bed will be topped by a layer of soil, and I've been
advised to put in a bottom layer of hardcore "to assist drainage".

Will you need any drainage for a raised bed of this height? Will it
ever become waterlogged? More likely it will be a lot drier than
planting at ground level. In the summer when you want more water a heavy
rainfall is unlikely to wet the soil by more than a few inches below the
surface.