Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Aprilaire 600 humidity output

On 11/21/2014 6:53 PM, Hongyi Kang wrote:
I'm extremely new here so please let me know if I'm

posting things at the wrong place. I recently (3
months ago) installed a new Trane 2 stage ECM
furnace and along with it an Aprilaire 600 whole
house Humidifier. It's upstate New York here, I've
been setting the the thermostat to 73 degree, so
furnace officially started working since late September.

The furnace and humidifier were installed by a local

contractor.
I set the manual humidistat to 45% since the very

beginning. And I have another small humidistat
clipped right on one of the second floor registers
where the hot air comes out. The humidity reading
had been between 45% and 50% until about 2 weeks ago.

Two weeks ago the weather here really started to

drop(ranging between 29 degree and 50 degree). And
shortly after I started to feel air being dry at night.
The humidity reading in the bedroom was somewhere
around 33%. And when I put the humidistat right by
the register(when the furnace is on and outputting
hot air), it read 16%, that's what I was concerned about.

Here's the current information about the humidifier:

I hear the water flowing when the furnace is on, when I

open it I see water in the distribution chamber and flowing
through the four holes. I also see water flowing down the
drain and feel hot air supply coming from the open damper.

I called the contractor company a few days ago, a service

guy came in and said everything was fine, then he said my 4
inch air filter was plugged, therefore humidity couldn't go
through. He charged me for a new air filter and a partial
service call, because no faulty equipment was found, even
though they told me the filter would last a year when they
sold it to me. I was fine with everything if the problem
was resolved, but the thing is, for the two days after the
filter was replaced, the humidity reading by the register
was still 16%. I actually personally went into a hardware
store and bought a brand new water panel for the humidifier,
still no improvement on humidity.

Me and my wife just had a baby 3 weeks ago and my wife had

had this coughing problem for a long time, she feels much
better when the air is not dry, so I was trying to give them
the most comfort I can by getting the new furnace and
humidifier. I'm not sure what kind of humidity level others
feel good about, but we really hope we can get to around
45% here. Hope someone can help and sorry about the long post.

Some Aprilaire have what's known as a bypass damper,
or valve. On some, there is a round disk that opens
or closes the round tube that comes from the other
duct. This needs to be open (handle points horizontal)
for the unit to work.

If you have AC, this needs to be closed (handle up and
down) for summer.

Please let us know how this works for you.

--
..
Christopher A. Young