Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Boiler

On 11/21/2014 9:32 AM, wrote:
I own a oil fed Burnham boiler. It is used for our hot water and some
household heating. Is there a way I can further insulate the unit,
ala an electric HW heate Blanket? I want to minimize the heat loss to
the ambient air, thu reduce our oil ($$) consumption.

The setup you have is a very common system used in millions of homes.
To summarize its efficiency, it sucks. The blanket is going to be
minimal help. Used to bother me on a hot summer night to hear the
burner run to heat up water that would not be used for hours. Very wasteful.

What you should consider is setting up in indirect fired hot water tank.
The setup I have will hold water at temperature for days and not need
the boiler to run unless water is being used.

A few years ago I got rid of my 30 year old boiler and upgraded to a
System 2000 and my oil use dropped 39.2% based on degree days.

The one I have is from
www.energykinetics.com but there are others.
Amtrol has an add on tank for existing boilers. .