Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Firearm question for all the enth

On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 15:53:16 -0600, Richard
wrote:

On 11/20/2014 2:54 PM, Spehro Pefhany wrote:
Hi, Guys:

Question on antique firearm a friend has ended up with..

Firearm is a Harrington and Richardson 0.38 calibre 5-shot revolver
believe it was made between 1886 and 1897 (?)

An "American Double-Action" believed to be series 1 rev 2.. based
on co. name not stamped on barrel
Does it accept 0.38 long Colt or short Colt? Or something else?

The H&R Model 1904 was chambered for both the 32 S&W and the 38 S&W so
if you're positive about the model then I'd also guess that yours is
chambered for the 38 S&W / 38 Colt New Police cartridges. The only
discrepency I see is that those cartridges had a nominal outside
diameter of .3865 but you indicated that the chamber measures only .382".

The old H&R revolvers were never chambered for the Long Colt or the 38
Special, AFAIK.

You are correct. Some could be purchased special in 38 Short Colt
(target cartridge) ..but the off the shelf revolvers were as you say,
more than likely in 38 S&W.

This may be of assistance

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/thre...evolver.85125/

btw..that was intended for a black powder loading ..so I would not be
shooting a ****load of any warmish 38 S&W modern loads. If you hand
load...take it down to the lower end of the loading tables.

You didnt indicate if it were a top break or a solid frame
revolver....

It should also be noted that a 38 rimfire version was available
through 1904ish..so check your firing pin alignment

http://bluebookofgunvalues.com/Gun_Values/Gun_Manufacturer_Models.aspx?id=HARRINGTON_RICHARD SON_INC_Solid_Frame_Revolvers_1880_1952

http://bluebookofgunvalues.com/Gun_Values/Manufacturers/HARRINGTON_AND_RICHARDSON_INC/Categories/Top_Break_Revolvers__1885-1952?id=HARRINGTON_RICHARDSON_INC_Top_Break_Revolv ers_1885_1952

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke