Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Firearm question for all the enth

I would note that last time I contacted Harrington & Richardson (maybe 3-4
years ago) atleast some of the old H&R guys were still there and they were
glad to answer questions.

Dropping H&R an email question on the H&R website can't hurt. You might get
lucky and find some of those old guys are still there and still willing to
answer a question or two.

--

"Richard" wrote in message
On 11/20/2014 2:54 PM, Spehro Pefhany wrote:
Hi, Guys:

Question on antique firearm a friend has ended up with..

Firearm is a Harrington and Richardson 0.38 calibre 5-shot revolver
believe it was made between 1886 and 1897 (?)

An "American Double-Action" believed to be series 1 rev 2.. based
on co. name not stamped on barrel
Does it accept 0.38 long Colt or short Colt? Or something else?

The H&R Model 1904 was chambered for both the 32 S&W and the 38 S&W so if
you're positive about the model then I'd also guess that yours is
chambered for the 38 S&W / 38 Colt New Police cartridges. The only
discrepency I see is that those cartridges had a nominal outside diameter
of .3865 but you indicated that the chamber measures only .382".

The old H&R revolvers were never chambered for the Long Colt or the 38
Special, AFAIK.