Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard[_9_] Richard[_9_] is offline

Default Firearm question for all the enth

On 11/20/2014 2:54 PM, Spehro Pefhany wrote:
Hi, Guys:

Question on antique firearm a friend has ended up with..

Firearm is a Harrington and Richardson 0.38 calibre 5-shot revolver
believe it was made between 1886 and 1897 (?)

An "American Double-Action" believed to be series 1 rev 2.. based
on co. name not stamped on barrel
Does it accept 0.38 long Colt or short Colt? Or something else?

The H&R Model 1904 was chambered for both the 32 S&W and the 38 S&W so
if you're positive about the model then I'd also guess that yours is
chambered for the 38 S&W / 38 Colt New Police cartridges. The only
discrepency I see is that those cartridges had a nominal outside
diameter of .3865 but you indicated that the chamber measures only .382".

The old H&R revolvers were never chambered for the Long Colt or the 38
Special, AFAIK.