Posted to alt.home.repair
harry k harry k is offline

Default Roofing a new shed- 1/2 inch more roof than shingles, what to do?

On Wednesday, November 19, 2014 9:14:27 AM UTC-8, Dave wrote:
"Harry K" wrote in message
On Wednesday, November 19, 2014 3:26:00 AM UTC-8, Dave wrote:
I built a shed in the back yard, but upon beginning to roof it I find that
the roof is 1/2 inch wider than three shingles laid end to end. What do I
do with this? Cut a 1/2 inch piece and insert it into the row of shingles?
Cut the offending 1/2 off of the roof with a circular saw? (yeah, right!)
obviously have no idea of how to deal with this situation. Somebody,
please
help me. Ignorant, and trying not to be stupid.

Dave

You have already found the answer "start with less than a full shingle" How
much less? That depends on the look you want. The package will tell you
haw much to cut off the first shingle to get two different looks. One will
end up with the cut-outs running straight up the roof. The other will end
up with the cut-outs running at an angle up the roof USE THAT ONE. I no
longer have a bundle left so I can't give you a size but it will be on your
bundles. Look at roofs in your area and almost all of them will have the
cut-offs going up the roof in an angel.

Roofs with the cut-outs running straight up the roof are bad for two reasons

1. It is a sure sign that an amateur roofer laid it - no professional
would.
2. Any errors in laying will be very obvious.

Be sure to start each row from the same end, save the cut-offs from the last
shingle, some of them will be long enough to use later as you go up the
roof.

DO NOT INSERT A SHORT SHINGLE IN THE MIDDLE OF A ROW.

Harry K

Hey Harry, Thanks for the input. I'm not sure what you mean by having the
cut-outs running up at a angle. Or straight up and down, for that matter.
Are you talking about the "notches" at the end of each shingle, that work
together to keep things "looking right"? If I cut six inches off of the
first shingle, that will do what you are talking about won't it? I really
am trying to get this right. It's going to be staring me down for the next
20 or so years.

Thanks again. And BTW, I decided to come inside and get out my Home
Improvement 1-2-3 book from Home Depot, which has a section on laying
asphalt shingles. This whole thing is not as simple as I thought it was.

Dave

Yes the 'cut-outs' are those notches on 3-tab shingles. I don't recall the amount to cut off the starting shingle to get the effect. One way winds up with them lined up straight up the roof, the other (and best for looks) run up at an angle.

The book is thie best way to go, you get pictures to help with the explanations.

Harry K