Posted to alt.home.repair
(PeteCresswell) (PeteCresswell) is offline

Default Running Diesel Gennie On Home Heating Oil: Anybody Actually Doing It?

I am seeing conflicting accounts of this.

Some say "No Way"... Home heating oil is not just #2 diesel with dye
added. It lacks certain lubricants and will ruin the engine.

Others say "No Problem".... Home heating oil and RV fuel are the same
stuff: #2 diesel with a dye added.

First thing that I think is "What, exactly, is Home Heating Oil?"....
and that the answer that comes to mind is "It can vary from
location-to-location and time-to-time, since a furnace is relatively
non-critical compared to an engine".

So... I anybody actually *doing* this?

If so, how did you verify the quality of the oil?
--
Pete Cresswell