Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default 1979 Carrier oil furnace,

On Tue, 18 Nov 2014 09:01:18 -0500, Randy333
wrote:

On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 15:02:59 -0500, micky
wrote:

A friend in a nearby townhouse with the same furnace thinks his furnace
### would fire better with new electrodes. Ours are curved but online
we can only find straight. Does it matter, as long as the tips end up
where the curved tips do? And can the
electrodes be bad, anyhow? They don't seem any shorter now than they
were 10 years ago, and even if they're shorter, can't they be bent
closer? I have the diagram that gives distances. Seems to me it's
broken insulators that wouldl be the problem. But to buy new
insulators, no one gives the diameter, only that they're Beckett, and
two reviews of Amazon-sold electrodes said they didn't fit. (Didn't
they mean the insulators didn't fit??)

NEW nice pointy electrodes in my burner made a big differance in how
it lights and fires.

No kidding! Makes sense now that you've said it. Thanks.

I know about lightning rods and that they need points. I've read other
stuff about points. How could I not notice that I need points.

.....I just looked at the ones I took out a couple years ago. No points
at all!! They're like a round pencil that has never been sharpened.
The closest thing to a point is where the end meets the side!

....Now that I think about it, I might not have needed the spare ignition
transformer. Maybe the old one would have worked if I'd had points!!
(I'm glad i saved it.)

Very difficult to bend in my experience you

I did notice that, But for some reason, I thought either I had bent
them enough (when perhaps I hadn't bent them at all) or that they didn't
need bendnig after all. I figured the next time I'd put them in the
vice to bend them. And I could file points on them too.

loosen the clamp and turn them to adjust the distance.

Got mine from Keith supply online.

Didn't know about them. This is very good, the first set of electrodes
with the other end looking like mine (flat metal tabs). Now it's easy
enough to transfer that part off the old electrodes, but it's still
feels good to find someone who sells just what I use. More important,
unlike the other (very few) electrode listings I've seen, this site
gives the dimensions for the porcelain insulators. So I don't have to
just hope they'll be like mine. And the insulator diameters are not all
the same, 9/16, 7/16, and 1/2.
..... Mine are 1/2".

Something like http://keithspecialty.com/k/66-091.htmI Keith's lists
3 curved ones, like mine**, though all different lengths, none of which
are the same as either of mine. I guess it matters most where the tips
end up. **Although now I notice that in the owners manual that came
with the furnace, the diagram about measurements, the electrodes are not
curved, they're bent. This is how I got the idea that all that matters
is where the tips end up! ???

Flat bus bars are sold separately.

And though this supplier is near nothing, 20 miles from the closest
towns, which are Indiana and Punxatawny, and 50 miles from Johnstown and
Altoona, they're only 200 miles from me, so shipping will probably be
pretty quick, not that I'm in a hurry this time.

Thanks again.

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy