Posted to alt.home.repair
harry k harry k is offline

Default Roofing a new shed- 1/2 inch more roof than shingles, what to do?

On Wednesday, November 19, 2014 3:26:00 AM UTC-8, Dave wrote:
I built a shed in the back yard, but upon beginning to roof it I find that
the roof is 1/2 inch wider than three shingles laid end to end. What do I
do with this? Cut a 1/2 inch piece and insert it into the row of shingles?
Cut the offending 1/2 off of the roof with a circular saw? (yeah, right!) I
obviously have no idea of how to deal with this situation. Somebody, please
help me. Ignorant, and trying not to be stupid.

Dave

You have already found the answer "start with less than a full shingle" How much less? That depends on the look you want. The package will tell you haw much to cut off the first shingle to get two different looks. One will end up with the cut-outs running straight up the roof. The other will end up with the cut-outs running at an angle up the roof USE THAT ONE. I no longer have a bundle left so I can't give you a size but it will be on your bundles. Look at roofs in your area and almost all of them will have the cut-offs going up the roof in an angel.

Roofs with the cut-outs running straight up the roof are bad for two reasons

1. It is a sure sign that an amateur roofer laid it - no professional would.
2. Any errors in laying will be very obvious.

Be sure to start each row from the same end, save the cut-offs from the last shingle, some of them will be long enough to use later as you go up the roof.

DO NOT INSERT A SHORT SHINGLE IN THE MIDDLE OF A ROW.

Harry K