Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill[_18_] Bill[_18_] is offline

Default No surprise there, then.

In message , Adrian
writes
Since when was there a monopoly on parcel deliveries, anyway?

Privatised couriers have been treading on the toes of nationalised
postal services since City Link started to take some of the business
from Red Star (remember them...?) in 1969, only six years after Red
Star was formed in the first place.

That's as maybe, but I have been selected as the person to receive
whatever my son orders online for his house upgrade. He's away working
during the week.
Yesterday it was 4 different packages from 4 different carriers, but
luckily a neighbour signed for one and another was squeezed through the
letterbox, so only 2 round trips to collect and no idea which supplier
used which carrier, so no idea how big or heavy anything was likely to
be.

If I wasn't old, I'd despair. I have nothing against privatisation, but
we need nationally organised basics - national grid, national postal
service, national rail system. Now they are talking about local mayors
all over the place to add another layer of in- or mal-decision and
confusion.

Ever since I shouted at the politician who came and rang the doorbell
even though he must have seen I was up the stepladder behind the front
door, no one seeking election has ever come here canvassing my views.
--
Bill