Posted to alt.home.repair

Default moving electrical switch

On Tue, 18 Nov 2014 12:50:25 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 11/18/2014 11:36 AM, wrote:

It is a dual gang switch box and I am not crazy about leaving a box
with a cover on it in the wall, just for looks mainly....

Well, you can't bury an existing box in the wall (by Code), either, so
you need to do _something_ with it.

I guess my question is, can I use the circuit in the bathroom to tie
off of to power the flood light and porch light. (For some reason I
thought you could not via code).

If it's outlets, no. If it's just lighting then yes that would be ok
albeit somewhat klunky probably.

What's feeding the existing lights/switchbox? The correct answer
_probably_ is to pull new switch leg from the existing location back to
the fixtures to the new location bypassing the current switch over to
the new; then you can pull the no-longer-need existing box and repair
the wall.

.. You are adding wall-space so you are doing drywall work. Open the
wall, pull the wire out - if fed from below put a junction box in the
basement if necessary and extend the wiring to the new location. If
fed from above in a bungalow. pull the wire up to the attic and do
likewize