Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carl Ijames[_8_] Carl Ijames[_8_] is offline

Default Metal failure; Act 2, Scene 1

I'd forget #1 since you have no idea what other damage you might find when
you tear it down (unless you tear it down first :-), before buying the
crank, and are positive nothing else got hurt). Any chance you can see the
Honda run before you buy? If so, and it doesn't blow blue smoke that's what
I would do, otherwise flip a coin between the Honda and the new drop-in HF.
I'd probably go with the new HF, and try to put as many hours on it as you
can during the warranty period to get past all the infant mortality
possibilities. My two cents worth, anyway.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message ...

On 11/17/2014 12:36 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I've emailed HF Customer Service for the part and even if it has to ship
from China, I'll be glad for it. But I'm not optimistic about it being
available.

HF: "Part not available"

But a guy on eBay parts out "freight damaged" HF engines. Crankshaft is
$42 shipped.

I have 3 alternatives:

1. A new crank: $42 delivered. Several hours to R&R. It's still HF.

2. A used Honda engine: $70, 2 hrs to pick up. May require some fitting
to the vac. It's _used_.

3. A new HF engine: $114 delivered. Bolt on. I'd have the old for
spare parts. It's _HF_.

What to do, what to do?

Bob