Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Water heater - Sweat-Solder or use Compression Fittings?

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
On 11/17/2014 5:46 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

My house has the water heater below many of the outlets. Also the way
the
well and whatever you call that bladder/surge tank holds several gallons
of
water. The heater does not have cutoff valves near it. To get all the
water out of the lines I have to go up to the second floor and open up
the
spickets and wait.
Even a few drops of water near the joint can cause problems.

Does the water heater have a working drain valve?

That might be an easy way to lower the water level.

The problem is not the water in the heater, it is what is left in the pipes
above it. The heater is in the basement. This is a house with a bathroom
that is on the 2 nd floor. That is about 20 or 30 feet of pipe above the
heater that has to drain. If the pipe is just removed from the heater the
water will drip for a long time. I have to go to the floors above the
heater and open the valves so the trapped water will run out.. It takes
extra time and steps to do that. If the joints are compression type
couplings (shark bites or whatever) that water dripping out is not real
problem. I might get slightly wet, but the joint will not leak when
tightened, but if I solder the joint, I have to wait on all that water to
drain out.
If you have long horizontal runs of pipe, that water seems never to run out.
BTW I do know about the breada trick, but that is still another
problem/step.

---