Posted to uk.d-i-y
DerbyBorn[_5_] DerbyBorn[_5_] is offline

Default Waterproof junction box

(Andrew Gabriel) wrote in
:

In article 6,
DerbyBorn writes:
I am planning to replace an external floodlight (Tubular Quartz
Halogen) with a LED version.
I note that most are supplied with a fitted length of flex.

My current light is fed directly by 2 single + Earth cables entering
the bottom of the lamp.

Do you mean a twin and earth cable?
It should not have unsheathed singles exposed, so I'm not clear
on your current setup. A pointer to a picture might help.

I am thinking that I should plan to route these into a junction box
and connect the new floodlight into the JB.

Will the usual waterproof glands seal two singles? - or should I take
them into two adjacent entries of the junction box.

You can get glands to seal anything, including flat twin and earth
cable. What you described isn't 'usual' though, or I'm not
understanding what you are describing.

If cable entry is at the bottom (with drips loops as someone else
said), the cable entry doesn't need to be waterproof, a and would
serve as the drip hole you should have in the junction box anyway,
although some type of strain relief is likely to be requird.

It is fed by a pair of grey sheathed single and earth cables. The cables
come out of the wall - were left like that by the builder. I merely fed
them into a floodlight. I have just taken this in the dark:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/45vcx4rz10...82%29.jpg?dl=0