Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default OCS's and chisel plows

On Sun, 16 Nov 2014 17:57:06 -0600
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

I need to build well , "need" might be too strong ... some kind of plow
to pull behind my "new' tractor , and I'm thinking chisel plow . 3 or 4
blades is probably going to be the most I can pull with 17 hp , and I'm
trying to form a basic design using some old Chevy springs as the part that
holds the actual plow blade . Basic framework will likely be some 2X2 tubing
, using some high-wheel mower wheels as depth regulators (Isn't that how
they work? Wheel sets the depth?) . I'm not sure I'll even need to design a
3 point hitch to use this type of plow ...

That's kind of a catchall term, chisel plow. Picture of a JD V-Ripper
he

http://www.ag-power.com/new-product/...e/915-v-ripper

If you're thinking of something like that (but smaller) it will still
take a lot of machine to pull it. Check out this youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwMlfMtcGP4

Note the tractor spinning/hopping around early on...

There was also one called a "soil saver". Looks like this:

http://www.equipmentlocator.com/phot...p/644432-1.jpg

Not a great picture, but you'll get the idea.

I would try copying one of these that look like what you think you
want. But, what are you hoping to accomplish with it?

Brinly has several implements made for small garden type tractors and
pretty good diagrams to get ideas from:

http://www.brinly.com/

It sounds like you want something similar to their cultivator:

http://www.brinly.com/CC_56BH.html

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b