Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default 1979 Carrier oil furnace,

On Mon, 17 Nov 2014 05:26:45 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Sunday, November 16, 2014 9:35:37 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
you learn things?

Well I'm not going to buy these things at 72 or 125 just to see if
they'll work.

Keep in mind if you buy them, if they are not the right part,
even if you can't return them, you can sell them on Ebay. Some of
them are used on Ebay to begin with. I've done that with parts.
Sometimes I've even made money by selling it later for more than
I paid for it.

True, but I'll never get around to doing that. I have things of my own
now I could sell on Ebay. It's the boxing and wrapping that slows me
down. Maybe the UPS store would do that?

After I posted, I accidentally came across the very same control unit I
have, rebuilt, for $65,

This whole thread isn't just for me, but for my neighbor who seems to
have less money than I do. He told me 9 days ago that he was out of
oil until last Thursday and was depending on room heaters, and that his
(DSL?) modem broke and he was looking for another one and using his
phone for email. And that he didn't want to pay the (rather high,
iirc**) charge the oil guy wanted for yearly maintenance on the furnace
even though he thought the electrodes were bad and last it was running,
he never turned it off because it he thought it woudln't restart (Yes, a
misunderstanding, and I asked if he didn't get too hot but he was on to
another subject. .)

And for all the things he needs, he expresses interest in parts from my
spare burner. OTOH, when he borrowed my bathtub stem socket, it took 3
months and 3 reminders for him to return it, and I'm not willing to give
or lend him any spare parts on the theory he'll replace them before or
even when I need them. But I am willing to do online research, find
parts, find how things work, etc.

**Though the oil price was only $2.00 a gallon. My tank is full or
maybe I'd buy some.