Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default 1979 Carrier oil furnace,

micky wrote:
On Sun, 16 Nov 2014 19:27:23 -0500, wrote:

I also had trouble with the reset button for a while. I thought it was
a relay, and I looked for a relay that fit the spot, one with a built-in
button like some do have. Couldn't find one, but eventually the device
starting working fine again and has done so for 25 more years. I'm
dumbfounded by this. But ever since these two control unit episodes, I
had my eyes open for a junk one. I missed two or three, that were by
the curb when I was going out and gone by the time I got home, but I got
one before I needed it.

You HAVE the spare control board. How hard can it be to swap it in
and see if it works? If it does work, Hakuna Matata.

If it doesn't work you are no further behind and you can start looking
for a new board.

Well it's not just the question as I asked it.

It probably will work, but I'd like to understand the difference from
one control panel to the next. It seems to me that they are basically
the same.

Now some burner oil pumps have solenoids, and they need a control unit
that is set up for that, but those control units are still backwards
compatible.

And I gather that some control units delay oil spray until they sense
the ignition spark. That helps prevent unburned oil in the bottom of
the firebox. Even though my furnace wasn't built that way, it might
work with mine, but it doesn't matter since none of the units I've seen
for sale have that delay feature.

But I can see why the question looked purposeless. Sorry.

Hmmm,
While asking all these questions and not trying any thing how could
you learn things? Sorry I am unable to help you, I never had oil burning
furnace. Cold? We just had almost 2 weeks long minus 20C weather with
snow. Are you this cold? Today it is normal, minus 4C.