Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Vibratory tumbling media

On 11/15/2014 4:14 PM, Gerry wrote:
I rebuild MGB steering columns as a sideline. These columns use alloy spacers where the column bolts to the dash. These spacers are usually a pain to clean up to reuse. I've tried tumbling them with green pyramid media without satisfactory results. On a lark, I replaced the plastic media with a box of 5/16" zinc coated steel nuts, and low and behold, the nuts worked better than any media I have tried in the past. Aluminum comes out shiny and clean, kind of burnished in a couple of hours in my small HF vibratory tumbler.

Clever!

I'm grappling with the volume of media needed. Did you use enough nuts
to bury the spacers, as is the case with "normal" media, or just enough
to mix in with the spacers, or were the nuts added to the other media?

Bob